Monday, May 16, 2011

Our Time in the Hospital

While we were in the hospital we had lots of visitors and lots of events that happened! It was nice to have someone to take care of me and of Laekan. We sent him to the nursery at night so that we could get a good nights sleep for the two nights we were there! The first night I was in quite a bit of pain so I didn't sleep much. I was also worried about Laekan. About 2 hours after birth I was trying to feed him a bottle and he turned blue all up and down his arms and legs. This caused him to be taken to the nursery and be monitored closely. He continued to be very lethargic and never really cried that night. I checked on him throughout the night and he wasn't really changing-not getting worse or better. By morning they said he had started to get a bit more active and they brought him to our room.

I was getting a bit worried though because he was spitting up a lot-or it seemed to me. He still wasn't really crying and his color did seem to be improving a bit. I fed him throughout the day and then at 1 he threw up his whole feeding. I sent him to the nursery so they could feed him and see what I was talking about. I wanted someone else to see the spitting and gagging. The attending doctor returned an hour later saying he had another blue episode and had spit up again. They ordered blood work and a heart echo. I was drained!!! He was gone from us the rest of the day and into the evening for all his work and to be monitored more. This was hard because we had visitors and all they could do was look through the window. This wasn't what I had envisioned.

The blood came back fine and the echo showed no immediate concern. We would have to wait until Friday morning for it to be read. Friday morning came and went and we didn't hear anything. I was done with my paperwork for discharge and we were waiting on Laekan. He was in the room with us though and seemed to be doing MUCH better to us. His color was better and he was eating with very little spit up. We finally got the results around 2 that there is a small PFO(hole) in his top chambers of his heart. This wasn't something life threatening, but it is something we go back for on June 16 to have repeated and results again. I was relieved that I would in fact be going home with a baby that day:)



Big Sister holding Laekan with Grandma Tina.
Getting his heart echo done.

Resting with Dad on our last day there.

Too cute for words!!!


No comments:

Going Strong...


Priceless...