Monday, March 19, 2012

A no good, very bad day...


The story I am going to tell today I am sharing for two reasons: I want to remember all the details and I want to be able to document all of the ups and downs of our lives. With that said here is what happened to us this morning...

I woke up this morning early before the kids, got my workout in, started taking down decorations from St. Patrick's Day, and got the Easter stuff out and ready for when Taegan woke up. She woke up and was ready to help! We got started and then Laekan woke up. I got him fed and he was drinking his bottle while Taegan and I were doing the decorations. While we were working I asked her if she wanted to go feed the ducks before the rain moved in. She was SUPER excited and so we stopped what we were doing and got our things ready. We had an extra loaf of bread, put on our shoes, grabbed Laekan and headed out! She could not wait to get there.

As we were driving there I was telling her that Daddy had just seen a black bear on his way to work this morning and it happened to be at the same intersection that we were headed to. Usually we feed ducks at the pond at the cemetary off of 6th and Gage. This morning as we were driving by I noticed that across the street from that, at the pond in front of Stormont Vail West, there were a ton of ducks and no one feeding them! So I turned around and that was our spot for the morning! We got out of the car, put Laekan in the stroller, got our bread and we were off! There were some hills and the ground wasn't flat at all-so I left Laekan up top in the stroller and Taegan and I headed down closer to the water. She was tearing and throwing pieces and I was too. We were looking back at Laekan and talking to him and he was laughing and smiling at us.

The clouds started moving in and I was tearing and throwing like a crazy lady so we could get it done! Taegan was laughing and having a blast when we started feeling a few sprinkles. I told her we wouldn't melt and she said of course we wouldn't. I handed her the last slice of bread, felt more sprinkles, mentioned that the storm was moving in and the wind was picking up, turned to look back at Laekan and then it happened....

The wind had pushed the stroller just enough and Laekan was barreling down the hill at a fast speed in the stroller!!!! I could tell I was too far away to catch him in time-he was headed face first strapped into his stroller for the pond. I had to jump in and get him. We hit the water at the same time and I pulled him immediately from the water. The water wasn't deep(up to my mid thigh) and I sat the stroller up, got him unstrapped, and climbed out of the water. During this whole time Taegan had lost all control of herself and was screaming and jumping up and down. She was scared out of her mind and had NO idea what to do. She ended up seeing a maintenance man in a van right up by us and started yelling at him to help us. I have no idea why or how she knew to do this, but it saved us all!!


The guy came running and asked what we needed. As I was climbing out of the water I realized my phone was in the waist band of my pants-that was underwater, and that my keys were in the top of the stroller-that went head first into the water! Only by God watching over us were the keys laying on the grass as I crawled out of the pond with Laekan and that my phone was actually stuck in the bottom of my pants and WORKED!!! Amen. We got to the car, grabbed the huge blanket I have in the car, got Laekan's clothes all off, and let Taegan crawl in the car. The gentlemen that came to help had now run inside the building to get a nurse and some others to check us all out. Taegan was still a mess, Laekan was crying and had now calmed down and started making noises to me, and I was running on adrenaline!


Three minutes later I had seven nurses, doctors, and very nice people standing around our car making sure we were okay. At this point Taegan is SUPER worried about the stroller-which was still stuck in the pond and I had gotten Laekan changed into new clothes and a new diaper. I was soaked, but that was the least of my concerns. A nice guy got the stroller out, but it was DISGUSTING and I wasn't putting that in my new car:) So I left it standing by the light pole and Justin would come back and get it soon in his work van. The nurse checked Laekan's lungs and heart and said he was clear and good to go. Taegan was still super upset and scared so we headed to see Dad at work nearby to help ease her fears. This seemed to help and she calmed down.


We left Daddy and headed to Sonic to get a slush and some cheddar bites...this helps anything right?! She calmed down and has spent the day talking about it to me and with me. She has apologized many times for it happening(it wasn't her fault) and has stated that we will NOT be going to feed the ducks anytime soon. Poor thing. We are SO proud of her for what she did today and how well she has handled all of this! Me on the other hand-just starting to process it all and to say I am shook up would be accurate. I have decided not to place the blame on myself(but I could very easily) and realize that bad things happen. We are all okay and in a few years this will all be a distant memory! But today-it is a vivid memory that I am reliving over and over!


Today was a no good, very bad day!

No comments:

Going Strong...


Priceless...