Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Surgery Day...

On Thursday of last week we headed to Children's Mercy in Kansas City to have a pre-op appointment for Laekan's minor surgery the next day. We decided since he would be having the surgery early Friday morning we would just stay the night at Sheraton Suites at Crown Center and make a weekend of it!!:) Lucky me! Laekan did great for the ride up there, the appointment, and then napped while we headed to an early dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. Once we got done there we headed to the mall to make him a build a bear Dr. for his surgery and then back to the hotel to relax and watch the Cats play basketball.

I was a bit worried about how it would go with him not being able to eat after midnight and having to wait until the surgery. Laekan eats at 8 at night and sleeps all night and eats at 8 the next morning. I was NOT about to wake him up in the middle of the night to feed him and start that awful schedule to try and break that when we got back home. So I took the chance, fed him at 8 Thursday night and knew that the morning before surgery might be awful! Boy was I wrong-he was an angel!!! He flirted with all the nurses, laughed, played, and then fell asleep in my arms until they came to get him at 9:15 for surgery!!!

Got him in his gown and he is waiting with Daddy.

His cute socks...


Sound asleep with Mommy until surgery.


We loved Children's Mercy-everything was organized and run so well. We waited in the waiting room and it had plenty of space, drinks, tvs, and wifi so I could work some! We weren't there long because surgery didn't take long. I had hopes of getting a picture of him when we rejoined him in the hallway-he was a mess. That was the worst part of all of this, watching him wake up from the meds. He was so out of it and crying and coughing and mad. Broke my heart. They put him right in my arms and he seemed to calm down some. It took about 20 minutes or so and then he started eating and we were able to leave. We headed back to the hospital and spent the rest of the morning and afternoon relaxing waiting on my parents and Taegan to get there to have some fun playing and shopping at Crown Center. Laekan only needed 2 rounds of pain meds that day and he hasn't had any since! Such a strong boy.


Playing the next morning on the hotel bed before we headed home!


Although this surgery was minor, it made me realize that I am lucky God has blessed me with two healthy kiddos that don't need surgeries. Handing him off was tough, the worry was tough, the watching him wake up was tough, I'm just not cut out to watch my kids in pain. I will say that there were NO tears from any of us before the surgery and only tears from Laekan after the surgery-although I was close a few times. Thankful to be back home and done with this!!!

No comments:

Going Strong...


Priceless...